Monday, October 15, 2012

Getting a little money back where I can.

So, it can't always be about making a cut that will save me money in the longterm or even the long run.

I am also working on saving little bits where I can.

Last week, I was monitoring my bank account closely as payday approached. I was sitting on some cash and wanted to keep it out of the bank if I could, as I had plans for it, but had it ready just in case funds got low. I got an email alert that my checking was coming up short, so I went ahead and made the deposit same day to dodge the hefty $35 fee my bank would apply.

And yet, there that fee was the next day. That was strange.

I called my bank, and after waiting on hold for 10 minutes, gave up. I realized it was the day after a bank holiday, so the wait times would be extra long. I called back the next day. A nice guy looked at the account and offered me a very long, complicated explanation as to why I was charged the fee, and then he went ahead and reversed it.

In fact, any time I've been charged a fee by my bank -- even times when I deserve it -- I find if I give them a call, they'll reverse the fee.

How I did it: I was calm, patient, firm but non-defensive. I explained why I thought the fee was applied erroneously. I listened patiently to the explanation, and profusely thanked the guy after he went ahead and reversed the fee. In fact, he told me right up front he could take the fee off my account, but wanted me to understand what happened so I could avoid it in the future.

Savings: $35.

No comments:

Post a Comment