Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Saving money the fun way

Personal finance doesn't have to be complete drudgery. I've found the fun side.

No matter how broke I may be, or fear being, I still have to put on clothes and go to work everyday, and the general expectation in our office is that you will not look like a vagrant. All of my shoes are falling apart, and I'm seeing (imagining?) sidelong, disapproving glances from the shoe police in the office.

So, I checked out the DSW website and identified a reasonably-priced, work-appropriate pair of knee boots. (In addition to the shoe police, I was also swept up by the cold fall weather we enjoyed for about 72 hours before the temperatures spiked back up into the 90s.)

Still, I felt like I could save just a little more. I recalled one time a helpful DSW sales clerk asking me if I had any of the $10 coupons they mail out to people signed up for their discount program. I confessed I tend to lose those as soon as I get them. She said if I come into the store at a slow time -- like a weekday morning -- they would call into their headquarters for me and check to see if I had any coupons on my account. She said they will often even re-activate expired ones.

So, if a DSW clerk could make a call, could I do it to? I decided to try, and the results were excellent.

How I Did It: I called 1-866-DSW-SHOES. I explained that I tend to lose my $10-off gift coupons, and the representative pulled up my account by my email address and phone number. Turns out that I did, in fact, have several unused coupons. She said she could reactivate three of them, and they would be available for use in a couple of business days. Indeed, the next time I logged on, I had three $10-off coupons waiting for me.

Savings: I got my boots for $30 off -- nearly half price!

Stomping around in knee boots feeling like a super hero? Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment