Monday, October 15, 2012

Well, ouch. That hurt.

A couple of years ago now, I was enjoying the weekly wine tasting at Colorado Wine Company. It's one of my favorite small businesses ever. The owners and staff are smart, friendly and helpful. The wines are really wonderful and at incredibly great prices. I found out they had a few monthly wine club programs. I signed up for the premier one, "The Yummiest Trio." For $80 a month, I was given three of their tastiest selections.

I discovered Eric | Kent wines, which are some of the most amazing I ever tasted. And Fiddlehead. And Orin Swift. So many others that I opened with friends, shared over holiday dinners, appreciated during a quiet evening at home with my husband. I eagerly awaited each month, and I've faithfully saved the tasting notes that come with each month's treasures.

I'd talked about bumping down to one of their $50 a month options, and said I would do that many times. But, then I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Sadly, though, after coming up short earlier this month, I made the call I'd been putting off. I cancelled my wine club until my finances are more under control.

I know it doesn't sound like a big deal. But there have been many times it was helpful to have a nice bottle of wine in the house, like when we needed an impromptu gift, something to bring to a nice dinner or for someone who did something especially nice for us. It was a little monthly exploration and discovery I looked forward to. Not only that, but I really respect the owners of this place. They're really nice people. They have a family. They've made the neighborhood they're in -- the neighborhood that was my home for a while -- a better place. I feel good about spending my money there.

When Jeff and I decided to get married, we made a conscious choice to have the wedding in Eagle Rock, and to use as many Eagle Rock businesses as we could. If we were going to spend money on a wedding, we wanted it to in some small way also help the community we lived in. We ordered our wines from CoWineCo, and even had our rehearsal dinner there -- bringing in some pizzas from next door in what was a perfect recreation of a typical Nicole and Jeff Friday night date. I am not giving up Colorado Wine Company. It is a wonderful business. However, I am going to have to forego my very favorite luxury.

For now.

Savings: $80 per month.

Total recurring monthly savings so far: $145 per month.

No comments:

Post a Comment